Monday, August 21, 2006

Pruning...

...An essential for most plants, to maximize their beauty, productiveness and fruit. That's nice to know but Jesus teaches us that pruning is necessary in our lives in order to maximize our intended possibilities and potential. I can't say I like that idea too much. It's fine for my yard and O.K. for someone else, but Jesus gets real personal and assures me I need it too.

There's no way we can fully understand all He is doing in the pruning regimen He has formulated for us. But, one thing is for sure; Psalm 25:8-10 tells us that He is good and upright as He leads and teaches us. That all the paths of the Lord are lovingkindness and truth. Whew, that is so comforting to know.

Bruce Wilkinson in his book Secrets of the Vine says God has 4 prime points of pruning on us. They are:

The people you love the most...
Your right to know why God does what He does...
Your love for money and possessions...AND last but certainly not least...
The sources of your significance....

As He lovingly shapes you, governed by his goodness, rightousness and truth, be assured, in spite of the pain, of a beneficial, profitable, positive and glorious end (Ps 25:12-15).

Your Heavenly Father just wanted me to tell you this...and, I needed to hear it again too....

Blessings,

Mitch