Monday, May 14, 2007

Where Are The Righteous?

As a follow up to a recent post "Pure and Undefiled", I thought I'd pass this along:

To Father Abraham, God revealed His plan to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah in judgement (Genesis 18). Abraham asked God if He would instead save the city for the sake of fifty righteous people.

God said He would.

Abraham lowered the figure: Fourty-five righteous? Fourty? Thirty? Twenty?...Ten? For the sake of ten righteous people, God said He would save the city.

Where are the righteous in America? I did not say "the religious" - we have plenty of those! Not "the evangelical," not "the conservative," not "the orthodox," nor "the fundamentalist."

But the righteous. Where are the righteous?

Where are those who take Jesus Christ seriously, who know and follow Him, who conform to what He taught (as opposed being conformed to this present world), who are like Him in their living?

Where are those who seek first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness? Where are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness? Where are those who not only call Him "Lord," but who do what He says?

"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men." (Matthew 5:13)

An excerpt by Richard Halverson, former Chaplain to the United States Senate

I needed to hear that.

Indebted,

Mitch