Monday, October 29, 2007

"Practice the Presence" these days?

Ah, Lord...
Brother Lawrence said he "practiced the presence of God."
Then, yes.
Now? I'm not so sure.
Could he do so even in the dentist's chair?
Even in the five o'clock traffic?
Life is considerably more complicated today.
You know, Lord, this is my excuse.

And yet, Brother Lawrence practiced the art of keeping his mind stayed on thee.
And I could, too.
Even in the dentist's chair. What better place! Often the dentist himself walks out and leaves me alone and it is quiet, and peaceful, with none of the I-ought-to-be-doing-the-dishes distractions of home. And I could use that moment of stillness to center down on thy love. But I don't. I never think of it.

And then, when the dentist comes back, I still could practice thy presence, Lord. I certainly can't talk, with my mouth full of fingers and tools... but I could "think on thee" - and intentionally, at that moment, give thanks for a number of things...including dentists.

Practice thy presence?
Even in the five o'clock traffic? That's certainly no time of peace and quiet. And yet, you are there too, Lord. And I can focus my grasshopper mind in-thy-name on those around me.
They are thy people - beside whom I drive.
Some of them are in a hurry too. They have worries, problems - like mine...more so.
Ah, Lord, bless them...and bless me with thy presence....

Amen

Copied