Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My Part and His...

It seems that I may have chatted with you all about this recently, but it showed up in my study today and I'm compelled to share it.

Psalm 119, the longest of the Psalms, speaks of the Law of God, his precepts, ordinances, judgements, commandments and His testimonies. This precious counsel of God is viewed as indispensible for the man or woman who wants to please God and know His success.

Verses 101 and 102 says: "...I have restrained my feet from every evil way, that I may keep Thy word. I have not turned aside from Thine ordinances, for Thou Thyself hast taught me."

I see in this a two dimensional theraputic effort, our part and God's. "I have restrained..." strongly suggests essential disciplines required to present ourselves to God. The Psalmist exerted much effort to avoid the traps and stay congruent with God's words. But the next verse reveals the secret of His success. He says: "...I have not turned aside from thine ordinances because Thou Thyself hast taught me. It's almost as if he says, "I presented my self to you but my victory did not come merely through my efforts. Yes, you let me participate in the work you are doing in me, but it is You that has kept me on course because you're the One who taught me...what a teacher You are!!"

It takes both! I don't think that we can anticipate the victory God intends by simply thinking that somehow He'll zap me when He gets ready to. I think God looks for hunger, desire and thirsty hearts that will make themselves "accessable" to God's eager hand...and as we do, he joins us, teaches us, and the changed life we desire emerges.

Jesus said, take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart and you shall find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. (Matt 11:29) 30). Here again, we see the two pronged process, You take my yoke on you and then you will learn from me, I will teach you and the rest that you desire will come!

The Faithful and True One gives this invitation: "You do your part and be certain, I'll do mine!" Why don't you take Him up on this for the next two months? What do you have to lose? How much could you possibly gain? I suspect when you do, you'll never be the same AND you'll never go back to "business as usual." Over the years, early mornings with coffee and the Word (presenting myself to Him) have changed my life forever! And as the song says: "I will never be the same again, I can never return, I've closed the door...for the glory of God fills my life and I will never be the same again!"

After His Heart,

Mitch