Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Essentials for Living...Part 2

To live the exemplary life God intends...

2. I must be very sure I am a Christian.

Uncertainty here is a major roadblock! Oh, but this is an easy one...I simply believe Jesus died for my sins? ...That settles it, doesn't it? It would be nifty to say "That's it!" And it would be if becoming a Christian were something we do. But it isn't; it is something God does. We certainly participate in it but we must receive the gift of his grace. It would be so easy for us to mistake psychologically conditioned emotional sincerity for the convicting, enlightening work of the Holy Spirit...or to think that my level headed agreement with irrefutable arguments concerning Jesus and the cross does it. So how can I know that I've been born again?

The Apostle Paul wrote, "the Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are the children of God." But what if I'm plagued by doubts? John wrote, "By this we know that we abide in Him and He in us, because He has given us of his Spirit. But what if I don't feel or sense his presence? John also wrote, "we know we have passed from death to life because we love one another." Fine, but right now I'm having a hard time loving myself; how could I possibly love someone else? John goes on to say, "By this we may be sure we know him, if we obey his commandments." Now that's a big help! His commands are my problem. I'm not keeping them even though I know I should. Please, how can I know?

In times when we all can have our doubts, there is one unmistakable passage that settles the issue for me...and I trust for you. 1 Corinthians 12:3 says, "Therefore I want you to understand that no one...can say 'Jesus is Lord' except by the Holy Spirit." In those dark times when my mind is strewn with the wreckage of battered beliefs and emotions, I force myself to peel off all that disturbing stuff...and ask myself what is it that I desire more than anything else? Though this is not easy, in time I discover that YES, it is there...I do want to follow Jesus! I don't want to walk away from Him. He is my LORD!!

On the one hand, the proof that you are a Christian is not your promise to follow Christ (who would be so brash and self-confident to make such a boast). Nor on the other side, is it simply some form of "easy believism" that would suggest that becoming a Christian is nothing more than affirming certain facts. Rather the proof is in that mysterious, inner working of the Holy Spirit. He does bear witness that you, by his grace alone, have indeed responded to those most earnest words, "We entreat you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God (2 Cor. 5:20).

"Yes, I do remember those open, loving arms of God receiving me as I received him. I saw...I see...the cross, the Savior, and I cry out, "My Lord and my God!'"

From "Birthright" by David Needham

Part 3 next week...