It's at this time every year when I find myself struggling to keep the most important things in my life important, in their proper place...the place my Heavenly Father has determined they should be for me.
It is a challenge to say "yes" when I should say "yes" and "no" when I should say "no". I'd say it is particularly hard to say "no". Resisting the temptation to yield to urgency, good things over the best, to compromise disciplines [quite time, exercise and eating right...ouch] and more.
Knowing that it is the "little foxes" that can spoil the vine and, how desperately we need the consistency of these Father-imposed boundaries, we should keep alert and intentional in all we do or don't do in any busy time of our lives (are we ever not busy?).
Paul reminds us that following Jesus is a race, a marathon, and as every good athlete would, we must always pay close attention to the things that can make us and keep us in the best shape for His purposes in us.
Please don't hear me saying that you can't have fun during the holidays because I believe our Father has given us all good things to enjoy. But, somehow in my enjoying, I want Him to see that, no matter what, He has first place and first choice in me and especially in the "little things". And, don't forget, it is His birthday we're celebrating and He's the One we want to honor, please and respect in all of our festivities. It just seems like the right thing to do for Him.
As always, I'm the one that needed to hear this the most. I hope that as you read this note, that was really written for me, you'll be encouraged too.
Such a joy to serve at Fellowship!
Mitch