I'm profoundly moved when I think about Mary and the price of her obedience to God, her Father. Her encounter with the angel was private and the message to her was pretty unusual. As she reported it to others, it was incredible, too unusual to be possible and as she began to "show", she was not only misunderstood but scorned by all for her seeming moral impropriety and lack of integrity regarding her betrothal. It put Joseph in a very difficult position and it was only after his own mystical encounter with God that He could cooperate with Him in what was Spirit initiated in her.
Her obedience set into motion a series of events [that she couldn't possibly have forseen] over the next two to three years: extensive traveling and covert living to escape notice of Herod; the slaying of hundreds of innocent children as ordered by Herod; the heightened pressures placed upon Joseph, the ongoing concern and inexplicable scenario that Mary's parents must have felt and the physical separation and no-news-wondering they must have suffered while they were away in Egypt...and on and on....
In all of this Mary must have had her moments of questioning and doubt [Joseph, too], "Did I do the right thing?"
Obedience always has its benefits, but I also think it is important to remember that it is costly, and many times, in ways that we couldn't possibly forsee. It is imperative that we know this and determine to have a peaceful resolve to receive what our obedience may bring, lest after having obeyed, we sometime abandon the God-given course due to the antagonism, losses and impact on others it may bring.
Obedience is where we should live but many of its rewards are enjoyed much later than we would hope or anticipate. Costly and unforseen as Mary's course was, conversly, she couldn't have possibly imagined the tremendous blessing her life would be to every generation to follow her and the profound impact her decisions would have on you and me.
One day, when this life has given way to the spiritual dimension, I'm going to find her and thank her for how she touched my life and express my appreciation to her for her willingness to endure, so that I could be so uniquely privileged...and my children...and their children, to be vitally connected to God, my Father through His / Her Son.
To be continued....
I just felt compelled to share these thoughts with you. Blessings on you and yours.
Mitch