Much happens in the life of the believer that doesn't make sense. I'm sure we've all had conversations with God that included the question: Lord, would you help me understand? I firmly believe that we won't know nearly all of what God is "up to" with us, until this life is over and the hindrances that dim our vision are removed.
The scripture tells us that "wilderness wanderings" are necessary. Jesus spent some time in the wilderness. I'm sure it was important or it wouldn't have happened. Everything God does is important.
The best thing I know to carry us through times like this, is knowing that God is good and wise, He loves perfectly, and all He does is good [whether I can see it now or not].
J. I. Packer in his book "Knowing God" says: "God's almighty wisdom is always active, and never fails. ...We must recognize the end that He is working to. ...Many go wrong...understanding the Bible when it says, God is love, that He intends a trouble-free life for all...and conclude that anything painful or upsetting (illness, accident, injury, loss of job, the suffering of a loved one) indicates that His love, wisdom, power [or some combination of these] has broken down for some reason or doesn't exist.... But this is a mistake. God's wisdom is not...intended so much to make us happy, comfortable or trouble-free...but His aim is that we should love and honor Him. ...Though we have fallen, God has not abandoned His first purpose...that we should bring Him glory and please Him entirely." (Colossians 1)
Our loving Heavenly Father is busy! He is working for our best end and destiny...to teach us, train us in right living. And our response to this work of His? This prayer says it for me...enjoy:
Help me, O God,
To realize the role the wilderness plays in my continuing education.
Thank you that even in the wilderness there are windows,
Revealing what you want from me,
Showing that you care,
And clarifying, when I look back,
What you were doing in my life.
Thank you, God, for the wild and untamed theology
You have taught me in the wilderness,
And for the assurance that,
Though you are not "safe",
You are good. (Ken Gire)
Headed North,
Mitch