One of life's most difficult tasks is seeing ourselves as others see us. Most of us hate mirrors because of what it reflects back. Many times it surprises us with realities we don't like: ...Where did those extra pounds come from...Is that really me..?Old age is creeping up on me...I thought I had more hair than that...Gosh, I didn't know I dribbled ice cream on my shirt, etc.
In our culture, we hate what we see so much that we're willing to go to extreme measures to "correct" our perceived imperfections: liposuction, face lifts, cosmetic surgery, hairpieces, drastic diets, botox and more. Sometimes I wonder if we place such importance on these things because of the way we personally react to others with the same "flaws". Or maybe, the thought of old age coming upon us, in a culture that is infatuated with youth, makes us fearful of what is to come or that we'll be replaced by a "newer model". My, what we put ourselves through.
Often, we know how others perceive us is skewed...looking at our exterior and not really knowing what's inside...simply being misunderstood.
But there is One, who sees us as we really are, flaws and all. I'd like to think that we would be at least equally motivated to "adjust" our lives and lifestyles out of a healthy fear of Him [in order to please and honor Him] as we are to please and maintain favor from those we live around. The scripture says the fear of man is a snare but fear of God is the beginning of wisdom!
What is your response when you look into the mirror of the Word and it reflects back something ugly from Gods' view? Do we dare stand in front of His mirror? Do we have the courage to hear what our Father's kind words would reveal? And do we respect [fear] Him enough that whatever it might take, we'll make the adjustments necessary to bring our lives in line with His?
The Psalmist said: "...Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts; ...See if there be any hurtful way in me, THEN [my addition] lead me in the everlasting way [and I'll follow, no matter what]."
Looking our best and displaying a positive demeanor in our sphere of influence is a good thing, but I need to make sure that my deportment before Him is my top priority...not only does He really know and see me as I truly am, but He's commited to get intimately involved in the process that will make change happen and, walk with me to make sure I stay there.
That's the mirror I need...Search me, O God....
Headed North,
Mitch