Monday, August 25, 2008

Complacency...

I wanted to pass this excerpt on to you from The Pursuit of God by A. W. Tozer. He was a man who became one of America's most well known pastor-theologians without any formal education. Honestly, I think I've shared this before, but it bears repeating....

How tragic that we in this dark day have had our seeking done for us by our teachers. Everything is made to center upon the initial act of "accepting" Christ...and we are not expected thereafter to crave any further revelation of God to our soul....

In the midst of this great chill there are some, I rejoice to acknowledge, who...turn away with tears to hunt some lonely place to pray,"O God, show me thy glory." They want to taste, to touch with their hearts, to see with their inner eyes the wonder that is God.

I want deliberately to encourage this mighty longing after God. The lack of it has brought us to our present low estate. The stiff and wooden quality about our religious lives is a result of our lack of holy desire.

May Our Father give us a fresh and earnest hunger for Him that will upstage any other quest in our lives...a hunger that He will satisfy...and satisfied we will indeed be.

Headed North,

Mitch