Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Comfort Plus...

The more I thought about yesterdays blog on comfort, I remembered Genesis 12:2. God told Abram, "I'm gonna bless you...so you can be a blessing." A principle is set forth here and we see it throughout scripture. I thought of many other places in the bible where it goes something like this: you've been forgiven, now go and forgive; you've been reconciled, now you have the ministry of reconciliation; I'll comfort you, now comfort others; Jesus gave his life for you, now you should present your bodies a living sacrifice...the reasonable thing to do; and in sending his disciples out to minister Jesus says to them: freely you have received, now freely give!

He blesses so we can bless, gives so we can give. They tell me that any body of water that constantly has inflow but no outflow becomes stagnant. The Dead Sea is a good example of this and is rightfully named. We've all known people like this. But there's more. Jesus says to give and it will be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over.... So it seems that there is another principle at work as well: He gives and blesses so that we can give and bless and the more we give, the more we'll be given.

Wow! This is huge. The things that we can give and ministries we can have are as endless as his supply. Paul exhorts Timothy in 2 Timothy 2:21 that if a man cleanses himself...he will be a vessel for honor...useful to the Master, prepared for every good work. Vessels to receive and dispense according to His glorious provision.

We have a choice; we can be containers or conduits; rivers or ponds; givers or takers. Father, I want to be a conduit channeling your flow wherever You wish. Sir, "Let the River flow."

Just wanted you to know,

Mitch